Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Nikki Jean interview w/ Spinner [SXSW 2010]

(Photo courtesy of Village Slum)

Jazmine Valencia interviewed Nikki for Spinner.com at SXSW 2010, check it out below!

Spinner: Describe your sound in your own words.

Nikki: I consider my music to be singer-songwriter pop music.


Spinner: How did your band form?

Nikki: About five years ago I was asked to join a band called Nouveau Riche by Dice Raw and Khari Mateen.

When it was time to put a band together for my solo endeavor my only thought was to keep it in the family. Khari is the musical director and he found Michael, our drummer.

Through Michael we met Reggie and CJ, our percussionist and keyboardist, respectively. It all evolved really organically.

I think that's why we have so much fun together on stage and off. It's not just a job -- it's getting the opportunity to do something we love, with people we love.


Spinner: How did you come up with your name?

Nikki: When I was in high school there were so many Nicoles. Every time someone said "Nicole" about four or five people turned their heads. To solve the problem, each Nicole at the school got a nickname. Mine was Nikki Jean.

Click HERE to read the rest of the interview!

0 comments: